Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Treats

What are you all whipping up in the kitchen for your holiday festivities? 

I really hadn't planned on making too much this year, but I found out this weekend that we will be hosting my husband's family for lunch on Christmas Eve, so I decided that I wouldn't be a proper hostess if I didn't have a tray of Christmas cookies and candies out for everyone to snack on. 

I was browsing Etsy and found this beautiful tray...
Etsy Listing found here
So simple and pretty I would hate to cover it up!

 Here is what I have made so far:

Buckeyes ~ Around here, we just call them Peanut Butter Balls and if I don't make them my brother-in-law would disown me. This year I used the recipe from Smitten Kitchen and will definitely continue to make them Deb's way from now on. Her addition of graham cracker crumbs and a little cream cheese is perfect.

Oreo Truffles ~ I hadn't made these before, but they will be on the list from now on. So easy and so good! 
1 pkg Oreos + 8 oz cream cheese + chocolate coating = Delicious!

Homemade Marshmallows ~ Another new addition to the lineup. These were fun to make and I liked that my kids know that marshmallows don't have to come from a bag at the store. I used this recipe from Our Best Bites but sadly, forgot to add the vanilla. They are good, but kinda boring. I think I will let the kids dip most of them in a little chocolate and crushed candy canes to liven them up a little.

Peanut Butter Fudge ~ I am not generally a fan of this, but my husband loves it. This year I used a recipe from Annie's Eats that was so simple. My husband said it was great and the little bit that I ate was really good.

Still on the list to make:

Anything else I should add?? I think I need more cookies.

Head over to Debbie's Tuesdays at the Table and see what other foodie-goodness people are sharing today!

13 comments:

  1. That tray is gorgeous and don't worry about covering it up. With the treats you are serving, it will be empty in a flash! The Peppermint Meltaways sound fabulous. I am going to try to make some tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only thing missing is your address so that I can come have some of those treats!!! Thanks for sharing your recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a killer gingerbread cookie recipe that works for both cut outs and snaps. I can email it to you if you are interested.

    I will be bookmarking some of the treats you made too. They all sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, fun!! Your treats sound great. I KNOW buckeyes & they are amazing! Do you need some basic cutout sugar cookies? They are fun, sprinkled or sugared....see my recent post. I'm pretty darn sure we'll be making those when son gets home, even though he's 25!! ;-) Keep us posted - and love your new platter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound lovely and also not going to happen round here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tray and the sound of marshmallows dipped in chocolate and sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee hee, I do hope you have some dentists in your family ;o)

    That tray is gorgeous, so you'll have to encourage eating quickly so everyone can appreciate it :oD

    As for makes, I have the mince pies to make, plus the desert for Christmas eve (chocolate chestnut refrigerator cake which has no cake in it whatsoever), then I have the entire Christmas meal (well, except the Christmas pudding that my mum made a couple of months ago). That will all wait till I've taken my gran and I down to mum and dad's on Friday though, in the meantime, I'm frantically sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You found out only a week beforehand? How did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That mint fudge recipe is so easy! I made it but since my hubs hates mint I used 1 bag of milk choc chips, 1 bag of the peanut butter and chocolate mixed chips and then the sweetened condensed milk. YUM! Not too peanutbuttery- delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful array of goodies! They will look great on that gorgeous tray too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum. yum. yum. Nick keeps threatening to start his holiday baking, but so far no treats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That tray is so pretty! I wish you would host our Christmas Eve dinner -- your snackies sound yuuuuuummy. You've made so many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you have planned a yummy assortment of goodies. Thank you for sharing links to Buckeyes and Lemon Shortbread. I'll bet you could freeze the lemon shortbread cookies and save them for later. I love cookies that you can make ahead & freeze.

    ReplyDelete